Kale. It’s great for your skin, your digestion, and your overall health. It contains readily-absorbable calcium and boosts your body’s antioxidant levels. If you don’t already crave a big bowl of kale, hopefully this Carrot Kale Sesame Salad helps to entice you a bit more. It serves as a substantial base for a hardier salad (just add some Baked Garlic Ginger Sesame Tofu) or a companion to your BBQ faves. Enjoy every bite knowing you’re fueling your body with the best of the best.
CARROT & KALE SESAME SALAD
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Olena Gudz Danko
- 1 bunch dino/lacinato kale, stems removed and Chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- 3 cups grated rainbow carrots
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
- 4 Tbsp. tahini
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil, optional*
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- 5 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- ¼ cup juice from orange
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger root, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 1-2 Tbsp. warm water, to thin
- salt, to taste
- Whisk together dressing ingredients by hand or in a blender (if the tahini and nut butter aren’t at room temp).
- Adjust seasonings to taste and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sliced kale with a small amount of the dressing. Using clean hands, massage the dressing into the kale for about 30-60 seconds, or until the kale starts to become slightly tender and bright green – don’t over do it to the point of soggy kale.
- Add carrots, green onion, desired amount of dressing, and toss.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro, and serve chilled.
- *The sesame oil is optional, but it does add a nice flavor.
Written by: Coach Jentry on August 2, 2018.