Sweet potatoes are one of my stranded on a desert island foods. They are versatile, satisfying, affordable, and pack a powerful, nutrient-rich punch – high in vitamin A, potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese, and iron. And with their high-fiber content, sweet potatoes keep you fuller longer. They also happen to work well with all sorts of other ingredients, be it sweet or savory. This recipe leans toward the savory side – piled high with black beans, corn and avocado crema – but you have full creative license when it comes to the toppings, so go nuts and enjoy to your heart’s content.
SWEET POTATO WAFFLES
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Plant-Based Katie’s Potato Waffle
Yields 4 waffles
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp. oil, optional
- pinch of Himalayan salt
If you’re in the savory mood…
- Black beans
- Fresh corn
- Avocado Cilantro Crème Sauce (recipe below)
If you’re in the sweet mood…
- Fresh berries
- Sliced bananas
- Drizzle of pure maple syrup
- Almond or peanut butter
- Preheat waffle iron – turn to high for crispy waffles.
- Cook potatoes.
- The fastest route is the microwave. Wash and scrub potatoes. Pat dry and pierce skin a few times. Wrap in a clean rag or paper towel and cook on high for 3-4 minutes. Stop and turn. Cook another 3-4 minutes until potatoes or tender – test by gently squeezing (be sure to use a rag or hot pad so you don’t burn yourself.
- You can also boil or bake potatoes if you have more time.
- Lightly brush waffle iron with oil and place cooked potato on the waffle iron (1 potato at a time), close the lid and let cook until crispy (most waffle irons have a “done” or “ready” alert).
- Once your waffle is ready, remove from iron and keep warm in the oven on 250 °F until all waffles are cooked.
- Serve warm and top with all the fixings.
AVOCADO CILANTRO CREMA
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- Avocado flesh from a whole avocado (see video for best peeling instructions)
- 2 Tbsp. water, or more as needed to thin out
- 2-3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
Written by: Coach Jentry on July 20, 2018.