Whether you’re staying in for a cozy night at home or you’re looking to make something special for the next holiday gathering, you really can’t go wrong with this soup. With just twelve ingredients and a relatively short cook time, this savory, hardy, healthy soup will have your guests singing your praise. It pairs well with our Rainbow Massaged Kale Salad, some freshly baked bread, and of course holiday cheer.
Creamy Italian Sausage + Red Potato Soup
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Damn Delicious
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1-2 tsp. avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1-13oz. package Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Sausage Links, crumbled into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning (dried oregano, parsley, garlic, basil)
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6-8 small red potatoes, diced
- 1-15oz. can coconut milk
- 4 cups lacinato kale, chiffonade
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté diced onion in avocado oil for a couple minutes until caramelized.
- Add sausage crumbles and cook for another couple minutes, stirring as you go to evenly brown the sausage.
- Add minced garlic, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves. Cook for another minute until garlic is tender and aromatic.
- Stir in vegetable broth. Bring to a gentle boil, add diced red potatoes, partially cover and cook for another 10-12 minutes, or until potatoes are tender (test with a fork).
- Incorporate coconut milk and kale, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, if desired, and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Written by: Coach Jentry on December 15, 2017.