With less than ten ingredients and just about a half hour from start to finish, you will have yourself a nice fall side dish. It’s perfect for pastas, pizzas, salads and more. It’s also filled with fiber and vitamin A, among others. Delicate squash has a delicate skin, so there’s no need to peel or remove beforehand. Just slice, toss, and roast. And before you know it you’re enjoying a nutrient-dense, hearty, filling treat.
Roasted Delicata Squash
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- 1 delicata squash, halved, seeded, sliced into half-moons (¼ inch thick)
- 1 red or yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 1-2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. pink salt
- ½ tsp. garlic granules (optional)
- cracked pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut delicata squash in half (lengthwise) and scoop out seeds, using a spoon. Lie squash flat on cutting board and cut into ¼ inch thick, half-moon slices.
- Slice onion in half (along grain of onion) then slice against the grain to make half-moon slices.
- In a large bowl toss squash, onion, oil, and seasoning until evenly coated.
- Transfer onto lined baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes at 425°F, or until golden brown and caramelized, turning halfway through.
- Enjoy warm as a topping on pasta, pizza, sandwiches, or wraps. Or, enjoy chilled on green salads.
- For extra sweetness, add 1 Tbsp. of balsamic vinegar.
- This recipe can easily be doubled and is great to have throughout the week.
Written by: Coach Jentry on November 10, 2017.