If you’re looking for something special to make for Mother’s Day, we’ve baked up something sweet and delicious. Almond Butter Blondies! They’re full of rich almond butter and dark chocolate flavor, but they won’t throw you (or mom) off course with loads of refined sugar and butter.
These scrumptious little bars are a great way of celebrating all the wonderful, nurturing moms, grandmas, sisters, and friends in our lives.
ALMOND BUTTER BLONDIES
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, refined oil free
Recipe adapted from Emilie Eats
Yields 24 bars
ALMOND BUTTER BLONDIE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup pitted medjool or deglet dates, soaked
- 1 ½ cups almond butter
- ½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
- ½ cup plant milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup GF oat flour (or other gluten free flour)
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax meal
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar (Endangered Species Dark Chocolate with Almonds and Sea Salt is bomb.com) + ¼ cup chips/chocolate for topping
ALMOND BUTTER BLONDIE DIRECTIONS
- Place dates in tempered class bowl or measuring cup (Pyrex) and top with 2 cups hot water (I boiled the water in a tea pot, then poured it over the dates). Partially cover and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Once soaked, drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add soaked dates and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as you go.
- Incorporate almond butter, applesauce to the date paste and blend until smooth.
- Pour (slowly) plant milk and vanilla extract into date/almond/apple sauce mixture and process until well-incorporated.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, flax meal, baking soda and salt.
- Transfer almond butter mixture from food processor to a large mixing bowl or standing mixer. Add dry ingredients into almond butter mixture until batter is thoroughly incorporated.
- The dates make the batter very sticky, so a standing mixer or hand mixer will work best.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into lined baking sheet, top with additional chocolate chips and bake for 25-35 minutes. Test with a toothpick – if it comes out clean, the blondies are done.
- Remove from heat, let sit for a few minutes before cutting.
Wishing you all a Happy Mother’s Day!