If you’re looking to captivate your guests at the next holiday celebration or if you’re up for a good culinary challenge, give these beauties a whirl. They’re made from the real fruit, just a hint of sugar, and they’re absolutely stunning.
APPLE PIE ROSE TARTS
vegan, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Tip Hero’s Apple Roses and Food Wishes Apple Roses
Yields roughly 9 roses
- 4 medium/large apples, cored and sliced thinly* (any kind will do)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Water for apple soak (fill a large microwave safe bowl)
- 2-3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon, or to taste
- Sheets of puff pastry or pie crust
- Powdered sugar, for garish
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F.
- Core apples, keep the skin on and slice thinly.
- Place apple slices in microwave safe bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice and pour water over apples until apples are completely covered.
- Microwave apples for 3-5 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Flour clean counter space or board and roll out the puff pastry/pie dough to make strips 3 inches wide and 12 inches long.
- In glass bowl, combine melted coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the center of the pastry with coconut oil mixture.
- Line apple slices long ways, peel side facing up, on the pastry from one end to the other.
- Fold the bottom half of the pastry up, to envelope the apple slices (leaving the peel side exposed).
- Carefully roll the pastry into a wheel to form a rose shape.
- Place each rose into its own individual muffin tin (grease if not using nonstick).
- Bake on 375 for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle on powdered sugar and serve.
- To be extra festive, use 2 green Granny Smith apples and 2 red apples (Gala, Honey Crisp, etc.).
- I made the mistake of using whole wheat filo dough. They turned out great, but the filo dough was really flakey and difficult to work with. I highly recommend using pastry dough or pie dough.
Gumsaba Running Club Sunday 12/18/16
8:30 AM Running Team Meet Up: Stone Valley Road/Iron Horse Trail, Alamo – Coach Karen