I cannot take credit for conceiving this recipe. I just happened upon it, made it and loved it! So, I had to share with the group. All the credit for this amazingly delicious bread goes to the creative genius, Vegan Richa. This gal knows her stuff, especially when it comes to baking and cooking fresh, healthy, plant-powered fare. Her One Bowl Vegan Banana Apple Bread is sweetened mostly with the whole fruit (bananas and apples), so it’s just the right amount of sweet. It calls for nut butter instead of oil – a more nutrient-rich alternative. Gluten free flour can easily be used to accommodate any food allergies. And best of all, it will fill your whole house with the aromas of cinnamon and apples! This is exciting stuff, folks.
BANANA APPLE BREAD
Vegan, refined oil free, refined sugar free, egg free, gluten free (optional)
Recipe by Vegan Richa with minor adaptations from Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2 small loaves
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 apple, cored and shredded
- 2 Tbsp. nut butter or peanut butter
- 1-2 Tbsp. date paste or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup plant milk (almond, soy, hemp, cashew, etc.)
- 1 cup flour (oat, whole wheat, spelt, rice or other GF flour)
- ¼ cup almond flour (I used King Arthur, available at Target)
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 3 Tbsp. nondairy chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Foods, available at Target and Whole Foods)
- oats and sliced almonds, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees F.
- Line two small loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Core apple, remove seeds and shred using a blender or food processor. Shred until consistency is close to rice – no need to go for apple sauce here.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash ripe bananas. Add shredded apple, nut butter, date paste/maple syrup, vanilla and plant milk. Combine until smooth, using a whisk or electric mixer.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter into loaf pans. Top with a few more chocolate chips and rolled oats (because it looks fancy).
- Bake for 35 minutes at 365 degrees F.
- Remove loaves from oven, top with sliced almonds and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Test center with a tooth pick – it should come out clean.
- The original recipe calls for black strap molasses, which I didn’t have, so that ingredient is omitted. If you do have it and you enjoy the flavor of molasses, go for it.
- The original recipe also calls for powdered or fine sugar. I used a little bit of maple syrup instead.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 9/17/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Michelle – Taskmaster Saturday
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – Met Con Saturday