We are on a serious salad kick and for a good reason. Salads, such as this Barley + Greens Salad, cover nearly all of the important food groups – greens, grains, legumes, and citrus. This one is easy to prepare, for the week or for a light dinner. It’s also super filling and equally as delicious. If tofu is not your thing, because of an allergy or aversion, just keep it out. If you’re worried about tofu, because of fear mongering, fear not. Soy consumption is quite good for our health. Check out this link from Nutritionfacts.org for more details on the wonderful world of soy.
BARLEY + GREENS SALAD with GRAPEFRUIT VINAIGRETTE
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from The Kitchn
Yields 6-8 servings
SALAD & DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup dry 10-minute Organic Pearled Barley, Peas & Lentils (available and Whole Foods, 365 brand)*
- 3 cups water (for cooking barley mixture)
- 1 bunch (about 8-10 stems) curly green or red kale, stems removed and Chiffonade
- juice from 1 large lemon (about ¼ cup)
- juice from ¼ grapefruit (about 2-3 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. white truffle oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup red onion, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- Hemp seeds, for garnish (optional)
TOFU FETA INGREDIENTS
- 4 oz. firm tofu, pressed and crumbled (I used Wildwood Organic Sprouted Tofu)
- juice from ½ large lemon
- small bunch fresh dill, finely minced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- pink salt to taste
SALAD & DRESSING METHOD
- Cook lentils, according to directions on package. Let cool before adding to salad.
- While lentils are cooking, combine kale, lemon juice, grapefruit juice, vinegar, olive oil, truffle oil, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and massage kale (using clean hands) for about 30 seconds.
- Toss in onion and bell pepper.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Top with tofu feta and hemp hearts.
TOFU FETA METHOD
- Drain tofu and press (between hands) to remove excess liquid.
- Crumble and combine in a mixing bowl with lemon juice, dill, garlic powder and salt.
- You don’t have to use the prescribed 365 Whole Foods brand (of barley, peas and lentils) for this recipe to be a winner. You can just as easily use any brand of dried grains/legumes.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 5/26/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Circut Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Circut Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Howdy Partner
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Interval Base Out
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Interval Base Out
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Circut Circuit
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Jentry –Interval Base Out
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)