Nothing beats Saturday mornings, except for Saturday mornings with fresh, homemade waffles! Yes’m, Blueberry Cornmeal Waffles topped with all the right fixings. Made from whole grains, almonds, blueberries and free of refined oil and sugar. These crispy little guys are a nice way to kick off your weekend. Breakfast is served!
BLUEBERRY CORNMEAL WAFFLES
Vegan, gluten free, oil free, refined sugar free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from The Minimalist Baker
Yields 8-10 waffles
- 2 cups plant milk
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar or juice from 1 lemon
- 4 Tbsp. flax meal (ground from whole flax seed*)
- 1 ½ cup cornmeal (I used Arrowhead Mills Organic GF Yellow Cornmeal)
- 1 ½ cup almond meal
- 1 cup oat flour (blended from whole, GF rolled oats*)
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2-4 Tbsp. sweetener of choice (maple syrup, agave nectar, date paste)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries
- Almond butter
- Fresh berries
- QUICK & EASY BERRY CHIA JAM
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Make flax meal *– grind whole flax seeds using a clean/dry coffee grinder. Ground flax goes rancid quickly, so it’s best to make from whole flax seeds when needed.
- Make oat flour* – blend whole, GF rolled oats using a food processor, until oats become a flour-like texture.
- In a glass liquid measuring cup, whisk together plant milk and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Let set for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flax meal, corn meal, almond meal, oat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Incorporate apple sauce, liquid sweeter, and vanilla extract in with the dry ingredients. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, pour waffle mixture onto waffle iron and cook waffles using desired setting. Keep waffles warm in the oven until all are cooked.
- Top with almond butter, berries and/or QUICK & EASY BERRY CHIA JAM and enjoy!