Cobra Pose helps us to lengthen and strengthen. It bolsters our confidence and ignites our power from within. It’s pretty amazing how much this little pose can do. If you’re new to this pose, just remember to tune into your breath, close your eyes and feel the sensations throughout your body. Let go of what Cobra is supposed to look like or feel like, and enjoy it for what it is.
Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana (boo-jang-GASH-ana)
- From Downward Facing Dog, inhale, shift forward into high plank. Stay for your exhale, then inhale, shift two inches forward and exhale, lower all the way down onto your belly (maintaining a strong, “plank” body the whole way down)
- Bend your arms and walk your hands underneath your elbows.
- Spread your fingers wide.
- Hug your shoulder blades toward each other and away from your ears, to create space for your neck and shoulders.
- Bring your legs together into one solid unit.
- Point your toes and press the shoelace side of your feet into your mat.
- Firm your thighs and lift your knee caps off your mat.
- Gaze down to lengthen the back of your neck.
- Firm your belly.
- Exhale to release all of your air.
- Inhale into Cobra Pose.
- Lift your chest off your mat, keep your toenails rooted into your mat.
- Bring little to no weight into your hands.
- Hold and breathe, taking small sips of air.
- Shoot energy out of the crown of your head and your toes.
- Breathe length into your spine.
- Relax your face and your jaw.
- Hold for 5-8 rounds of breath.
- Repeat 2-3 times.
- Builds strength in your spine, glutes, quads, and abdominals.
- Creates space in your shoulders, spine and chest.
- Stimulates the abdominal organs.
- Helps to prepare the body for backbends and deep heart openers.
- Cobra Pose helps to build patience as it challenges the mind to focus on the here and now.
- This pose also helps to relieve stress and reduces fatigue by waking up the body and helping to focus the mind.
- Cobra Pose empowers the third chakra, Manipura. Manipura chakra governs our self-esteem, relationship with our ego, individuality and confidence. The color of this chakra is yellow. When this chakra is balanced, our connection between our root chakra (Muladhara) and our heart chakra (Anahata) strengthens – this is the connection between “me” and “we”. Tapping into Manipura helps us to become more grounded, balanced and confident.
- As you lift your heart away from your mat, close your eyes and imagine your entire body getting longer and stronger. Feel as if you’re flying, like a superhero, through the air.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 3/21/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – Metabolic Boost Intervals
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – Metabolic Boost Intervals
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach Piper – Metabolic Boost Intervals
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Piper – Metabolic Boost Intervals
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – Metabolic Boost Intervals
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Jentry – Metabolic Boost Intervals
11:00AM Cytosport Beginning/Intermediate Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)