An oldie but a goodie: BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches + Broccoli Slaw. The whole thing takes less than 15 minutes to throw together and the final product is so wonderfully satisfying. Jackfruit offers an impressive amount of nutrients and a great, meaty texture – perfect for omnivores and herbivores alike. And, with a rich BBQ flavor and minimally processed ingredients, theses BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches will blow your socks off. Cheers!
BBQ JACKFRUIT SANDWICHES + BROCCOLI SLAW
Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2 sandwiches
- 1 package of BBQ Jackfruit (The Jackfruit Co., available at Whole Foods and Sprouts)
- 2 buns, toasted (Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Buns, lettuce, or gluten-free buns)
- BBQ sauce
- Broccoli Slaw (recipe below)
BROCCOLI SLAW INGREDIENTS
- 1 heaping cup organic broccoli slaw (available at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 leaf curly kale, de-stemmed and torn
- ½ cup Just Mayo
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. peppe
- Prepare broccoli slaw:
- Whisk together mayo, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Add broccoli slaw and kale (de-stemmed and torn into small pieces), and stir.
- Prepare sandwiches:
- In a large skillet, over med-high heat, pour in pack of BBQ jackfruit. Cook for about 3 minutes, until heated through and crispy on the edges.
- Add BBQ sauce.
- Meanwhile, toast buns.
- Once jackfruit is ready, add to toasted buns along with broccoli slaw and enjoy!
- The packaging on the BBQ Jackfruit gives the option to microwave. I don’t recommend this. You’ll miss out on a crispy, meaty texture if you microwave. Go for stovetop cooking instead. It’s worth it.