Watermelon, you take us back. Back to the simpler times of pool parties, the smell of sunscreen, and long summer days. Watermelon not only makes us feel like a kid again, it’s one of the best things we can eat to thrive like a kid again. It brings our health to the next level in so many ways: it’s hydrating, filling, and bursting with natural sweetness, fiber and vitamin C. This tasty fruit has also been shown to relieve sore muscle pain and several other ailments. And although it’s so great on its own, watermelon is an epic treat when combined with spicy jalapeño and creamy avocado. Not a fan of spice? Omit the jalapeño and add more avocado.
SPICY WATERMELON & AVOCADO SALAD
Yields 1 salad
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cut in half
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups baby greens
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Juice from one lime
- pinch of cayenne
- Cut watermelon in half. Set one half aside.
- Scoop watermelon flesh out in large chunks, then cut chunks into bite-sized pieces.
- Save watermelon rind and juices (at the bottom).
- In a large bowl, pour watermelon juice, salt, vinegar, lime juice, and cayenne. Whisk ingredients together.
- In same large bowl, add diced watermelon, jalapeño, avocado, and greens.
- Mix thoroughly and pour contents back into watermelon rind.