We’ve cooked up something extra special just in time for the weekend. It’s full of some of our favorite ingredients – black beans, chiles, corn, greens, avocado, and spices. And, instead of throwing this delicious mess on corn tortillas or rice, we opted for corn meal pizza crust. It’s something out of the ordinary and it’s great for Friday pizza night. We topped our pizzas with a massaged kale salad, because greens go hand-in-hand with pizza. But, you could easily enjoy this with some chilled lettuce, guacamole and salsa on top. Really, the choice is yours. Get your creative, pizza-loving juices flowing and have fun!
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2 pizzas
- 2 premade pizza crusts (I used Vicolo, available at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods)
- 1 cup refried beans (I used Pacifica Refried Black Beans with Chiles)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn (thawed)
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 1, 4oz. can green chiles
- Shredded cheese (Follow Your Heart Fiesta Blend or Sweet Potato Cashew Cheese – recipe below)
SWEET POTATO CHEESE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- Flesh from ½ large cooked sweet potato or yam (use one with orange flesh, such as a red garnet or jewel)
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews (soaked for at least 1 hr. and drained)
- 1 ½ cup plant milk (almond, soy, etc.)
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. miso paste (I used red miso paste)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. garlic granules
- 1 tsp. onion granules
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, or other pepper for heat
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
MASSAGED KALE ROMAINE SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 1 bunch kale, destemmed and Chiffonade
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled like so
- pink salt, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- juice from 1 orange
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- romaine heart, thinly sliced
- ½ cup tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown corn for about 3 minutes. Toss and brown for another 2 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper, sauté until onions are caramelized and bell peppers are tender.
- Add green chiles, toss and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place pizza crusts in the oven directly on the rack and par-cook for 2-3 minutes. This will help to get the top crispy before topping with beans, etc. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide black beans, spread an even layer (½ cup) on top of each pizza.
- Add a layer of shredded cheese or Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce.
- Top with corn mixture.
- Place pizzas directly on the rack and bake at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Check halfway through to ensure even baking.
- Once cooked, remove from heat. Let sit for a couple minutes before cutting.
- Top with fresh cilantro, Massaged Kale Romaine Salad (optional), salsa and enjoy
SWEET POTATO CHEESE SAUCE DIRECTIONS
- In a high-powered blender, combine all ingredients and blend for 1-2 minutes, or until creamy and smooth.
- Keep warm, on low, in a saucepan until ready to serve. Stir frequently.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
MASSAGED KALE ROMAINE SALAD DIRECTIONS
- In a large mixing bowl, combine kale with avocado, salt and apple cider vinegar. Massage ingredients, with clean hands, until kale is bring green and tender.
- Toss in romaine and tomatoes, and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 5/7/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Karen – HIIT Saturday
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Michelle – Circuit Work!