All hail hummus! This creamy chickpea spread has withstood the test of time, serving as a staple dish for hundreds of years. Mellow and creamy in flavor, and rich in vitamin B6, manganese and dietary fiber. Hummus is also a good source (10-19% DV) of protein, vitamin C, folate, phosphorus, iron, zinc, copper and sodium.
Today we’re brightening up this classic with fresh, aromatic basil to make perfect pesto hummus. Great with fresh veggies, flat bread, or Turn up the Beet Falafel!
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- 3 cans organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve 1/2 cup for garnish)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup tahini paste (use raw, if possible)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 2 lemons (~1/4 cup)
- 4 cloves crushed fresh garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup cold, filtered water*
- 1 roasted bell pepper, diced (for garnish)
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Set aside 1/2 cup of chickpeas for garnish.
- In a food processor combine chickpeas, basil, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and spices.
- Pulse ingredients for about a minute then blend for 1-2 minutes until consistency is smooth and creamy.
- *Add a 1/2 cup of water to thin out. Add more until desired consistency is reached.
- Test the hummus and adjust salt, lemon juice, paprika and garlic to taste.
- Process again to blend any additional ingredients.
- Pour into a serving bowl and top with chickpeas and diced roasted bell peppers.
- Serve with fresh veggies and enjoy!
Cheers to your health!