When you think Ragdoll pose, think release. Release for your spine, your legs, your hips, and your mind. This gentle forward bend is powerful and soothing. It is a nice way to gradually wake up your body at the beginning of the day and it helps to calm your mind and at the end of the day. Come into this pose with intention and compassion for yourself.
Ragdoll Pose (Uttanasana)
- Exhale, step your feet hip-width distance apart.
- Spread your toes and root down into the ball mounds and heels of your feet.
- Bend your knees and fold forward to bring your torso toward your thighs*.
- Interlace your arms and grab your elbow crooks.
- Inhale as you lengthen your spine and reach the crown of your head toward your toes.
- Exhale as you sink your torso deeper toward your thighs.
- Let your head hang heavy.
- Relax your shoulders away from your ears.
- Gently sway from side to side.
- Close your eyes and breathe.
- With each inhalation, lengthen through your spine.
- With each exhalation, deepen your forward fold.
For tight hamstrings and low back, take a generous bend in your knees and seal your torso onto your thighs. This will allow your spine to release while protecting your hamstrings/low back.
As you deepen your forward fold in Ragdoll pose, play with pedaling out your legs – straighten one leg then the other. Be careful and mindful as you do so, and not forceful. Stay in a pain-free zone.
Lengthens and releases the spine.
Gently opens up the posterior chain, hips and back of legs.
Stimulates internal organs, specifically the kidneys and liver, and improves digestion.
Relieves headaches and insomnia.
Ragdoll pose helps to relieve stress and anxiety.
Works to calm, focus, and soothe the mind.
Ragdoll pose helps to soothe our second chakra, or sacral chakra (Svadhisthana). This chakra governs our emotions, expressions, intimacy, sensuality, creativity, and connectedness. The color of this chakra is orange and the element of this chakra is water.
Practice Ragdoll pose for several rounds of breath. As you gently sway from side to side, with your eyes closed, focus your attention inward.
Feel your feet rooting into your mat, notice if you’re holding onto anything – any tension or resistance from your day. Let go of everything. Imagine your tension melting off your body and onto your mat. Come into this moment, into right now. Feel your spirit uplift, and your mind become quiet and peaceful.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 1/25/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – HIIT Monday!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – HIIT Monday!
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle – HIIT Monday!
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Joel – HIIT Monday!
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT Monday!
9:30 AM Rose Court Private Camp – Coach Jentry – HIIT Monday!
11:00AM Cytosport Beginning/Intermediate Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)