When you love chickpeas the way I do, you will find any excuse to incorporate them into your life. Whether it be via hummus, aquafaba, or chickpea omelettes, I will make a point to enjoy a serving of chickpeas everyday. Because, good people of Gumsaba, chickpeas (and all legumes) are our friends! Consuming beans and legumes on the regular offers all sorts of benefits. For one thing, beans are great for heart health. Bean consumption has also been shown to increase lifespan. Furthermore, the phytates in beans (as well as whole grains) contribute to increased bone density in women and cancer prevention. And, as Dr. Michael Gregor explains in his article on Nutriitonfacts.org, “Bean consumption is associated with lower body weight, a slimmer waist, less obesity and lower blood pressure in population studies..”
Let’s not forget, beans are versatile, filling and delicious, which brings me to today’s Rainbow Bowl. It’s brimming with whole food, plant-powered goodness, and chickpeas of course. It’s also filled with an assortment bright, beautiful red onions, green kale, red tomatoes, along with yellow and white sweet potatoes. Hence, the “rainbow” in Rainbow Bowl. It’s nutrient-dense, satisfying and a wonderful way to start your day. I’m happy to say I had it for breakfast and it was amaaaazing.
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar and oil free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from The Minimalist Baker
Yields 4 servings
ROASTED VEGGIE INGREDIENTS
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into thick slices/wedges (lengthwise)
- 1 large red onion, cut in ½ and into thick slices
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar (ideally 4% acidity – it’s sweeter and thicker)
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt, paprika and cayenne
SPICY CHICKPEA INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups (or 2-14.5oz cans) cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. garlic granules/powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ¼ to ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
MASSAGED KALE INGREDIENTS
- 1 large bushel dino/lactino kale, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (ideally 4% acidity – it’s sweeter and thicker)
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt, turmeric and cayenne
- 2 carrots, peeled (first layer removed) and peeled again (to achieve curly shape)
- 1 cup plum tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 Tbsp. pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
CREAMY TAHINI DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup raw tahini
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Juice from ½ orange
- 1 Tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- lukewarm water, to thin (if desired)
ROASTED VEGGIE DIRECTIONS
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper (1 for sweet potatoes + 1 for onion).
- Scrub and rinse 2 sweet potatoes. Keep skin on, if organic. Cut into thick slices/wedges.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss potatoes in pink Himalayan salt, paprika and cayenne until evenly coated. Pour onto lined baking sheet and arrange in even layer.
- Bake potatoes for about 12 minutes at 450, or until bottom edges are slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, rinse red onion and discard outer layer. Cut down the center and into thick, uniform slices. Keep layers intact.
- Arrange onion on 2nd lined baking sheet, drizzle with balsamic.
- Once sweet potatoes have roasted for ~12 minutes, flip potatoes and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
- At this point, roast onion along with sweet potatoes for the remaining 10-12 minutes, so both should be ready around the same time.
SPICY CHICKPEA DIRECTIONS
- In a large mixing bowl, toss chickpeas with seasoning until evenly coated.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook chickpeas for 8-10 minutes or until slightly browed on surface.
MASSAGED KALE DIRECTIONS
- In a large mixing bowl, incorporate kale, avocado, lemon juice, vinegars, salt, and spices. Massage ingredients into kale for about 1-2 minutes, or until kale becomes tender and vibrant green.
- Add carrots, tomatoes, seeds, and toss again.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
CREAMY TAHINI DRESSING DIRECTIONS
- In a glass dish or measuring cup, whisk together ingredients.
- Add lukewarm water 1 Tbsp. at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
RAINBOW BOWL ASSEMBLY DIRECTIONS
- Once all veggies are roasted, kale is massaged and dressing is prepared, it’s time to bring it all together in one magnificent bowl.
- Go for it and enjoy!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 2/27/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Jentry – AMRAP vs Tabata