Simple. Easy. Quick. Healthy. Filling. Nourishing. Delicious. These are a few of my favorite things…when it pertains to dinner. And all of these things come with Roasted Broccoli Tacos.
When you’re short on time and you don’t want take-out or worse (the dreaded fast food), grab some tortillas, beans, broccoli, spices, avocado, and you’ll have yourself a delightful meal that won’t take hours out of your evening. Better yet, you will fuel your body with plant-powered, nutrient-rich amazingness (yes, I know, a very scientific term).
Roasted broccoli, as opposed to steaming, sautéing or boiling, is filled with flavor and health-promoting nutrients. When roasted until bright green and tender, broccoli retains its nutrients and crispness, making it well-suited as the main attraction in tacos. Add in the creamy refried beans and cool Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce, and your taco dinner got a whole lot more exciting!
ROASTED BROCOLLI TACOS
Yields 8 tacos
- 1 pound (about 2 heads) of broccoli
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes, cayenne or both, if you’re in a spicy mood 🙂
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and minced
- 1 can refried black or pinto beans
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, salsa, hot sauce, lime juice (for garnish)
- Other add-ons: roasted sweet potatoes, sautéed red onion, sautéed bell pepper, fresh corn, jalapeño, broccoli slaw (available at Trader Joe’s) with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce (recipe below).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut broccoli into bite-sized pieces. You can even use some of the stem (closest to the florets).
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, olive oil, lemon/lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix together until evenly coated with olive oil and lemon/lime juice.
- Transfer mixture onto lined baking sheet and cover with another piece of foil.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 8-10 min, or until broccoli becomes tender and bright green.
- Remove top piece of foil and cook for another 1-2 minutes (to brown edges of broccoli), then remove from heat.
- While broccoli is roasting, warm refried beans and veggie broth over medium heat in a saucepan. Cook for ~5-7 minutes, or until heated through, then remove from heat.
- While oven is still warm, throw the tortillas in there for a couple minutes, just until the edges start to curl up.
- Assemble tacos with beans, broccoli, other add-ons, and garnishes.
- Enjoy with a big, green salad and a nice, cold brew.
CILANTRO AVOCADO CREAM SAUCE
- Avocado flesh from a whole avocado (see video for best peeling instructions)
- 2 tbsp water, or more as needed to thin out
- 2-3 Tbsp. lime juice,
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt, to taste
- 2 clovea garlic, peeled and crushed
- Red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in with some Broccoli Slaw (available at Trader Joe’s).
Have a great Friday!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 5/16/15
8:30AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Core Power!