If you have ever practiced yoga, you’ve probably heard your yoga instructor describe twisting your body like ringing out a wet rag, rinsing your internal organs of toxins and impurities. I know it may sound hokey, but once you’ve experienced a good twist, you may have felt this “ringing out” first hand. And, thus, a sensation of ease and lightness in your body. Supine Twist Pose is rejuvenating, restorative and benefits everybody regardless of your skill level or stress level.
Try with one and on your outer thigh. Or…
With both arms stretched out to a goal post, for a deeper chest stretch and heart opener.
SUPINE TWIST POSE or JATHARA PARIVARTANASANA (jut-uh-ruh par-ee-tuh-NAHS-ana)
- Lay on your mat with your facing belly up (supine position).
- Bend your legs and hug your knees into your chest.
- Bring your hands to the back of your thigh or on your shins.
- With your right knee hugged into your chest, extend your left leg out long.
- Press through left heel and pull your toes toward your shin.
- Inhale, hug your right knee toward the right side of your chest.
- Exhale, guide your right knee across your body to your left.
- Kiss your navel toward your spine to engage your abdominal wall.
- Work toward stacking your hips, one on top of the other.
- Maintain even weight in both shoulders to allow the twist to come from your thoracic spine and abdominals.
- Stretch your arms out wide, into a T-shape or goal post, with your palms facing up.
- Gaze over your right shoulder.
- Close your eyes.
- Allow your face and jaw muscles to soften.
- Breathe for 5-10 rounds of elongated breath. Inhale to lengthen your spine through the crown of your head. Exhale to deepen your twist.
- Repeat on the other side.
- For individuals with tender backs, keep both knees bent as you twist.
- For extra support, bring a towel in between your knees.
- Releases tension in the shoulders, spine, neck and hips.
- Aids in improving digestion and expelling the body of impurities.
- Stimulates internal organs including the kidneys and intestines.
- As Supine Twist Pose relieves the body of residual tension and stress, this brings the mind into a peaceful state.
- Supine Twist Pose taps into a number of chakras, or energetic bodies, the main chakra being Muladhara, the first chakra or root chakra, is located at pelvic floor and base of the spine and legs. This chakra is associated with Earth. The color of this chakra is red. Activating this chakra through Supine Twist invokes stability, abundance, connectedness, grounding, and a sense of security. When you cultivate a tall spine and connect to your mat, the Earth, while you deepen your twist, you’re empowering your root chakra.
- Supine Twist often precedes Savasana, the ultimate restorative pose, and is therefore setting your body up for surrender and recovery. Connect to the Earth, allow yourself to let go of any expectations, and cultivate gratitude for the right here, right now. You are complete. All you have left to do is breathe.
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – HIIT Monday!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – HIIT Monday!
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle – HIIT Monday!
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Piper – HIIT Monday!
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT Monday!
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Jentry – Chipper Monday!
11:00AM Cytosport Beginning/Intermediate Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)