Whatever you want to call them, superhero, superwoman or superman, this exercise is phenomenal for strengthening the muscles that promote great posture and for opening up the front of the body. Most of us spend our day day closed up in a seated position; countering this posture is critical for back health. This exercise is not to be rushed. Move SMOOTH and try not to jerk your body. As well, go for length, avoid jutting the chin forward, keep the gaze at the floor, and avoid bending knees, legs should stay straight.
Though its easy to perform, there are some subtle details that can help prevent cramping and injury. Be sure to preform this exercise slowly and smoothly.
- Begin by lying face down on your mat.
- Extend your arms forward, with palms facing each other. If your shoulder disagrees with this position, keep your arms by your sides with your palms facing down.
- Make sure your legs are parallel to each other, and inch your legs as close together as you can. This can cause tension in the low back. If it does then do the exercise with legs at a comfortable space.
- With your forehead down, inhale then when you exhale press your abdomen into the mat. Inhale and lift your chest/arms/legs. Many people lift the chin at this point. Avoid this by looking straight down and keeping a neutral neck position. As well, lift legs so that the inner thigh is rolling up, which will be reflected in toes pointing to floor – they will likely want to point out.
- Exhale and lower all down.
- Perform 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Between sets rest one ear on the mat for a 10 count/then turn head to rest the other ear. Advanced can hold the pose for 5 breaths, performing 3-5 sets.
- NOTE: if this exercise hurts your back, just work on lifting the chest minimally and leave the legs down, over time it will strengthen and you can progress to full hero!
When you are finished perform cat cow for 5 sets, and then rest in childs pose for a bit.
Coach Jentry performing superhero with band to reinforce stability
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Wednesday 7/27/16
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Briana – Endurance
8AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach James – Endurance
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Briana & Coach Kristin – Endurance
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Jentry – Endurance
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels HIIT – Coach Jentry (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Jentry (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport In Trinity – Coach Jentry (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)