Happy Falafel Friday, everybody! I’m not sure if that’s a thing, but it is now.
Turn Up the Beet Falafel – it’s a backyard BBQ favorite, a lunchtime go-to and a heart-healthy option thanks to its abundance of plant nitrates. Our bodies can turn these nitrates, which are found in beets and darky leafy greens, into nitric oxide, a vasodilator shown to prevent and treat heart disease. So, you’re really getting a whole lot more from these little gems of deliciousness than you would from a boring old burger. Cheers to that!
Can’t really see all the falafel under all those yummy toppings, but I promise they’re in there 🙂
TURN UP THE BEET FALAFEL
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free, plant strong
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Coconut & Berries
Yields 8-10 falafels
- 1 medium golden or red beet, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and roughly minced
- ½ small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 ½ cups (1-15oz. Can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Handful fresh parsley or cilantro, roughly chopped
- Large hjandful curly kale
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or tahini
- ¼ to ½ cup flour (almond, chickpea or oat work) *
- Collard greens leaves (use as “pita” bread)
- Massaged red onions
- sliced tomatoes
- Special Tahini Sauce – see recipe below
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a food processor, add chopped golden beet. Pulse/blend until shredded into small rice-sized pieces.
- Add garlic and onion, pulse and blend until coarsely chopped.
- Add spices and chickpeas, pulse and blend until chickpeas become flakey in texture.
- Add parsley/cilantro and purple kale, and blend while slowly adding olive oil/tahini.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Transfer falafel mixture from food processor to a large mixing bowl stir in flour of choice. *Start with ¼ cup, then add more as needed.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop and shape falafel mixture into small patties. Lay on lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and flip, bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown on crisp on the edges.
- Remove from heat and serve on collard greens, garnish with desired toppings and Special Tahini Sauce.
SPECIAL TAHINI SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup tahini
- juice from 1 large lemon (about 3 Tbsp. worth)
- Juice from 1/4 orange (about 2 Tbsp. worth)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- pinch of cayenne, paprika and garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. pink Himalayan salt, or to taste
TAHINI SAUCE METHOD
- Whisk together ingredients in a small bowl until mixture is creamy and smooth. To thicken, add more tahini. To thin, add more water.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in a fridge for up to a week.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 7/16/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Karen – AMRAP ATTACK