Fireworks, poolside picnic, parade, backyard BBQ, water balloon fights…all of which make for a quintessential 4th of July weekend. But, you cannot properly celebrate America without biting into the juicy sweet goodness of watermelon. Watermelon is what makes summer, summer! Arguably the world’s best fruit, watermelon offers a whole lot more than just color and flavor. It’s rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, lycopine, and antioxidants. And, July happens to be National Watermelon Month, so it’s only right that we devote today to the one and only…
By Jentry Lee Hull
- 1 small, seedless watermelon, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lime, zested
- 1/4 cup lime juice (~3-4 small limes)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider or balsamic vinegar
- 1 red onion, thinly diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced basil or cilantro
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Cut the watermelon in half, scoop out the flesh, dice, and reserve half of the rind for use as a serving bowl.
- Dice and prep the remaining ingredients.
- Add all ingredients in a large bowl and combine gently.
- Chill in the refrigerator, in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Serve in a hollowed out watermelon rind along with Roasted Beer & Lime Cauliflower Tacos, tortilla chips, grilled corn on the cob, or skip all the nonsense and enjoy by itself!
Have a safe, happy, watermelon-filled 4th of July!
And, just a friendly reminder…
FOURTH OF JULY “FITNESS IS FREEDOM” BOOT CAMP!
With Coach Michelle
7AM – 8AM
MONTE VISTA FOOTBALL FIELD
Park in front of the tennis courts.
Bring a mat, weights and a towel for sweat.