Memorial Day weekend is almost here. Who doesn’t love that extra day to be with the ones you love and take some time to kick up your heels and relax? With BBQs and pool parties in full force, it’s nice to come prepared with healthy, tasty goods. These Zucchini Noodle (aka Zoodle) Burger Buns are a stellar replacement for your typical burger bun. They’re mean, green and powered with phytonutrients, fiber and flavor.
ZUCCHINI NOODLE (ZOODLE) BURGER BUNS
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from Just a Taste
Yields 3 buns (or 6 patties)
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp. ground flax + 6 Tbsp. water)
- 4-6 zucchinis (about 4 cups), spiralized
- 2 scallions, finely sliced and minced
- ½ cup oat flour or almond flour
- ¼ cup ground cashews
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (aka “nooch”)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced
- pinch of salt
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of ground pepper
- Make flax egg. Whisk together ground flax and water and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Spiralize zucchini. If you don’t have a spiralizer, shred zucchini with a grater instead.
- Place spiralized/grated zucchini in a cheese cloth or colander inside a large bowl. Sprinkle zucchini with salt, toss lightly and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain excess liquid from the zucchini by squeezing in the cheese cloth or colander.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine prepared zucchini, flax egg, scallions, flour, cashews, nooch, dill, salt, garlic powder, and ground pepper. Toss to mix with tongs or clean hands.
- Form buns with zucchini mixture and line on a plate. The mixture should yield 6 patties (or 3 buns).
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook patties for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Transfer cooked patties to a lined plate and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Veggie burgers, like our Ultimate Veggie Burger
- BBQ Jackfruit Sammies
- On top of salads
- As a light side
- As little sliders
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 5/28/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Jentry – Chipper Saturday
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – Sets n Reps Saturday