This beautiful, vibrant smoothie is brought to you by nature…and a blender. Remember our Eat the Rainbow post? Well, this smoothie embodies all the plant pigments and then some. It’s bursting with chlorophyll (from the greens), carotenoids (from the oranges), and flavonoids (from the berries and beets). The yum factor is up there, too! So, drink up. Your cells and your soul will thank you. You can’t beet that.
BEETS, BERRIES & BASIL SMOOTHIE
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull adapted from The PlantPower Way’s Triple B Blend
Yield 2 small smoothies or 1 jumbo smoothie
You will need: a high-powered blender
- 4 cups liquid (2 cups water + 2 cups plant milk)
- 2 leaves kale, removed from stems or 1 large handful of baby greens
- 2 Tbsp. hemp protein
- Juice from 1 lemon or lime
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 ½ – 2 cups frozen berries
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger root, peeled
- ¼ cup beet, peeled and diced
- 8 leaves fresh basil
- 2 leaves fresh mint
- garnish with pepitas, hemp seeds or fresh berries
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to serving glasses/bowls, garnish with additional toppings and enjoy!