Get ready, friends. I’m about to blow you away with some amazing facts about this little, green, disease-fighting powerhouse we call asparagus. Without further ado, here we go…
- Asparagus is a great source of some uber important nutrients including fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K. The folate in asparagus works with vitamin B12 (a microbial derived vitamin) to prevent cognitive impairment, according to a study conducted at Tufts University.
- Just like its other green friends, asparagus has compounds to fight free radicals and other bad guys. It contains glutathione, which helps to break down carcinogens and other harmful compounds like free radicals.
- Asparagus also contains antioxidants that neutralize and essentially deactivate free radicals in the body.
- Asparagus is rich in asparagine, an amino acid, which serves as a natural diuretic, by increasing urination to release fluid and rid the body of excess salts.
- Asparagus also contributes to heart health, digestive health, reduced risk of cancer, protection against sun damage, anti-againg, and lowering the risk of type II diabetes. To found out more, read on.
Now for the good part. Recipes! Here are a few to get you going.
- ROASTED GARLIC & ASPARAGUS
- ROASTED POTATO & ASPARAGUS LENTIL SALAD WITH TANGY MUSTARD-LEMON DRESSING
- CREAMY VEGAN LEMON ASPARAGUS PASTA
To your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 4/11/15
8:30AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Co-Ed class – Coach Michelle – TRX + Kettle Bell
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Sunday 4/12/15
8:30AM Spartan Training – Coach Michelle – Oak Hill Park