When I was little, I avoided cauliflower. It seemed boring and dull, so I usually opted for broccoli instead. But in my older, wiser years I finally see what all the fuss is about…cauliflower rocks! Its texture makes it versatile – it can be crunchy (great in Roasted Beer & Lime Cauliflower Tacos) or creamy (like mashed potatoes). And due to its subtle flavor, cauliflower acts as a great base in all sorts of dishes. Cauliflower also boasts a long list of health benefits – helping to promote hearth health, reduce inflammation and provide antioxidants galore.
Although cauliflower stands well on its own, it’s even more thrilling when paired with beets. Beautiful, bright beets! Steam and blend your cauliflower/beet mixture with a few spices, and you’ll have a creamy, savory mashup!
CAULIFLOWER & BEET MASHUP
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 beet, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced, optional (but great for added flavor and texture)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- pinch of fresh rosemary
- handful of fresh basil
- pinch of thyme
- pinch of fresh chives
- pinch of cayenne, optional
- garnish with crushed cashews
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place garlic in a small piece of foil, coat in a small amount of oil (if desired), wrap and seal foil. Roast garlic for ~10 minutes. Check periodically so as not to burn.
- In a large saucepan, pour about an inch of water, place steamer basket on top and bring water to a boil.
- Add cauliflower florets and simmer (on low-medium heat) for ~10 minutes, or until florets are tender.
- Remove cauliflower, drain and set aside.
- Repeat step one – place water and steamer basket back into large saucepan, bring water to a boil and add diced beets and sweet potato. Simmer for ~20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove beets and sweet potato, drain and set aside.
- In a food processor combine steamed cauliflower, beets, and sweet potatoes. Blend for a couple minutes, then add garlic, olive oil, almond milk, salt, herbs, spices and blend until smooth.
- Serve warm. Enjoy with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts or broccoli.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 5/28/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Karen – HIIT Thursday!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Michelle – TRX Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – HIIT Thursday!
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Jentry – HIIT Thursday!
9:35AM Rose Court Co-ED – Coach Michelle – (private class) – HIIT Thursday!
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Jentry (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)