To all you bacon lovers (you know who you are), I am going to throw out a suggestion. Give coconut bacon a chance. It has many of the same qualities of “real” bacon – salty, crispy, sweet and smoky. But, it comes with some extra special perks. Because of its coconut base, it has zero cholesterol, far less sodium than the other stuff, none of our sweet pig friends are harmed in the making, and coconut has numerous health benefits!
Now I’m not suggesting you go overboard with this stuff. Coconut bacon is rich – see nutrition facts below. It’s great in moderation. So, stick to smaller portions (about a 1/4 cup) and enjoy with a green salad or on a CBLT (coconut bacon lettuce tomato wrap/sandwich).
But, don’t just take my word for it. Start your own coconut bacon party with this CBLT recipe.
COCONUT BACON LETTUCE TOMATO (CBLT)
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cook time: 15-20 mins
- Total time: 20-25 mins
- 1 slice of Ezekiel bread toasted
- 1 handful of lettuce/spinach/baby kale
- 1/4 cup sliced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp hummus
- 1/4 cup coconut bacon (recipe below)
- Coconut Bacon
- ½ Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- Prehead oven to 325 degrees F
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl whisk together liquid smoke, tamari, maple syrup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and paprika
- Add unsweetened coconut flakes and mix thoroughly until flakes are evenly coated
- Pour contents onto prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer
- Bake for about 15-20 min, stirring coconut flakes in 5 min increments to ensure each piece is crispy and lightly browned
- Test a little piece (be careful, it’s hot) and if it’s to your liking, remove from the oven
- Toast bread, spread on hummus, lettuce, tomato, coconut bacon and enjoy! Or, skip the bread and enjoy as a salad.
COCONUT BACON NUTRITION FACTS
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 122
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
- Fiber: <1 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Protein: < 1 g
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 1/3/14
8:30AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Move out!