Valentine’s Day is fast-approaching and what better way to show your love than with a homemade meal!
I’m not off the Romanesco bandwagon just yet. This stuff really is quite exquisite and your loved one deserves the cream of the crop. If you’re in search of something extra special to cook on this holiday of love, look no further. This Creamy Romanesco Pasta with Pesto will woo your valentine more than any conversation heart, and it’s oh so yummy!
CREAMY ROMANESCO PASTA WITH PESTO
- 1 package of small brown rice pasta shells (Pasta Joy is the best! Available at Whole Foods)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1.5-2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1-2 roasted bell peppers, diced (available in a jar at Whole Foods)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 head of Romanesco, chopped (cauliflower works, too)
- 0.5-1 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1-2 Tbsp tomato paste (see directions)
- Cook pasta: Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a dash of salt and olive oil, and add the brown rice pasta shells. Cook according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Creamy Romanesco Sauce:
- In a separate pot, heat olive oil over med heat.
- Add onion and 1 tsp. salt, sauté until onion is soft.
- Add minced garlic and roasted bell peppers. Cook until fragrant (~1 min.)
- Add vegetable broth. Cover and heat until it starts to boil.
- Add chopped romanesco and 0.5-1 tsp salt. Cover and let simmer on med-low heat until romanesco is tender (~ 8-10 min.).
- Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor. May have to transfer in batches depending on size of blender/mixer. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer mixture back to the pot.
- Stir in 0.5 cup almond milk, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and cooked pasta shells. To thin the sauce, add another 0.5 cup almond milk. To thicken, add 1-2 Tbsp tomato paste.
- Season with red pepper.
- Top each serving with pesto sauce and swirl in.
- You can also top with broccoli or more veggies. Why not?
- 2 cups packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, cashews or walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine all ingredients, except for olive oil, in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Then slowly pour in olive oil and process until sauce is creamy and smooth.
Pasta Joy Brown Rice Pasta Shells (GF, vegan)
Get to cooking’, good lookin’!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 2/14/15
8:30AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Co-Ed class – Coach Karen – Move Out!