Lentils aren’t just good for soups and curry dishes. They’re also great in salads. For this Divine Lentil Salad, I pulled together the cream of the crop – ingredients ranging from black lentils, which are overflowing with health benefits, king trumpet mushrooms, collard greens, kale, onion, tomatoes, and chickpeas. And to round out these lovely ingredients, I added pink Himalayan salt, garlic, lemon juice, turmeric, balsamic, basil and avocado. The finished product was so darn tasty and surprisingly filling!
DIVINE LENTIL SALAD
Yields 2 generous servings
- 1⁄2 cup black lentils
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large bunch greens (kale, collard greens or Swiss chard), stems removed
- 1 cup mushrooms (I used king trumpet), sliced
- Pink Himalayan salt
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1/2 cup red onion or shallot, diced
- 1 lemon, halved and fresh squeezed
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 4-6 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Rinse and drain lentils, then cook in a medium-sized pot of boiling, salted water for about 10–15 minutes, or until tender.
- Once cooked, drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add mushroom and cook until golden brown and tender.
- Add garlic and greens. Cook until the garlic becomes aromatic and the greens are wilted and bright green in color (~3 minutes).
- Season with salt, red pepper flakes, and balsamic vinegar.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine lentils, chickpeas, and remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Season with salt, red pepper flakes, ground turmeric to taste.
- Divide the lentil/chickpea mixture among 2 serving dishes, top with greens mixture, avocado, basil, and enjoy!
To your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 4/4/15
8:30AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Co-Ed class – Coach Karen – Mash Up Saturday!