Getting your greens is easier and tastier than you think. It just takes some creative experimentation…throw them into your smoothie, mix them in with some pasta, toss them into your soup, or blend them in with homemade falafel! Greens offer truly remarkable Health Benefits and some pretty awesome flavor. So, grab those greens and have a falafel party!
GET YOUR GREENS FALAFEL
Inspired by the Minimalist Baker’s Better Than Restaurant Falafel
Yields ~5-8 falafel patties
- 4 cups greens (chard, collard, kale, or a combo of), removed from stems and torn into pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed and minced
- 1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 3-4 Tbsp. oat flour
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm greens and garlic until the greens are bright and tender (~2-3 min). Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- In food processor, combine the greens and garlic mixture along with all remaining ingredients, except for the oat flour, and blend – stopping to scrape the sides until the ingredients are well blended and smooth in texture.
- Place the falafel mixture in a large bowl and stir in 3 Tbsp. oat flour. Add additional Tbsp. of oat flour if mixture is too runny.
- Scoop mixture, using a 1/3 measuring cup, and form into evenly-shaped patties.
- Place patties onto a large skillet over medium to high heat and cook on each side for ~2-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and enjoy with SPICY ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS , pita bread or on a bed of greens.
Have a fun-filled, joyful Saturday!