Yes, this is actually the name of this twisting, turning, energizing pose. You’re in for a treat when you sit down to twist your body in Half Lord of the Fishes Pose. Not only does this pose alleviate tension, it invigorates your body and fires up your core.
Blueberry likes it, too!
Half lord of the Fishes Pose or Ardha Matsyendrasana (ARE-dah MOT-see-en-DRAHS-anna)
- Begin seated on your mat with your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Bend your right knee and place your right foot down on the outside edge of your left thigh, with your right knee facing up.
- Bend your left knee and slide your left foot toward your right lateral (outer hip).
- Place your right hand down.
- Reach your left arm overhead, spin your palm toward your midline.
- Inhale, breathe length through the crown of your head.
- Exhale, twist right and hook your left elbow on the outside of your right thigh.
- Gaze over your right shoulder.
- Inhale to lengthen your spine.
- Exhale to deepen your twist.
- Bring even weight into your sits bones to bring length into your side body.
- Hold and breathe for 5-10 rounds of breath.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Stretches the shoulders, spine, neck and hips.
- Stimulates digestion
- Stimulates internal organs, including the kidneys and liver.
- Half lord of the Fishes Pose relieves the body of residual tension, as it gently energizes and soothes the mind.
- Half lord of the Fishes Pose energizes two main energetic bodies, Muladhara chakra and Manipura chakra. Muladhara, the first chakra or root chakra, is located at pelvic floor and base of the spine and legs. This chakra is associated with Earth. The color of this chakra is red. Activating this chakra through Half Lord of the Fishes Pose invokes stability, abundance, connectedness, grounding, and a sense of security. When you cultivate a tall spine and connect to your mat, the Earth, while you deepen your twist, you’re empowering your root chakra.
- Half Lord Pose also activates your third chakra, Manipura. This chakra is located at the navel, just above the solar plexus. The lumbar spine (lower back), abdominal wall and internal organs (including liver, stomach, spleen, and pancreas) are key players in this chakra. The color of this chakra is yellow and the essence of this chakra is fire. “Activation of the Manipura Chakra frees one from negative energies and purifies and strengthens one’s vitality.”
- Twist and breathe. Let go of any residual tension that may be holding you back. Attend to the present moment and rejoice in the now. Your body will take care of the rest.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 3/17/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – Met Con Monday!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Karen – Met Con Monday!
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach James – Met Con Monday!
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Michelle & Coach Piper – TRX* Circuit Monday!
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – Met Con Monday!
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Jentry – Met Con Monday
11:00AM Cytosport Beginning/Intermediate Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)