Not all breakfasts are created equal. Finding something that helps you begin your day with a full, satisfied belly is an important part of getting your energy up so you can hit the ground running. Choosing a healthy breakfast has its many benefits. It’s been shown to improve concentration, provide more strength and endurance for physical activity, and lower cholesterol. If you’re in a breakfast rut, I have just the thing…Lemon Blueberry Pancakes! Made with whole grain flour, rolled oats, blueberries, lemon juice, chickpeas (yes beans!), and more. These pancakes have all the elements of a healthful, delicious, nutrient-dense breakfast.
LEMON BLUEBERRY PANCAKES
inspired by Sharon Richter’s Pumpkin Protein (Tofu) Pancakes
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat or brown rice flour (to make gluten free)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed + 2 Tbsp. water, whisk together and soak for ~5 min)
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained (silken tofu also works)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen – if frozen, set out to thaw or run water over
- 1 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, almond meal, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon) in a large bowl.
- In a blender or food processor, combine liquid ingredients (almond milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, almond butter, chickpeas, and apple sauce), and blend until smooth.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, add blueberries and lemon zest (if desired) and stir until just combined. Note: If using frozen berries, the pigment will bleed into the batter to make blue pancakes 🙂
- Using a large skillet, warm to medium heat and lightly spray with desired oil, or use nonstick skillet and no oil.
- Place 1/8 cup of batter on skillet.
- Cook until bubbles appear in batter (~2-3 minutes)
- Flip pancake and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 3/5/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Full Body HIIT
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Michelle – Upper Body + Core Strength
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Full Body HIIT
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Full Body HIIT
9:35AM Rose Court Co-ED – Coach Michelle – (private class) Full Body HIIT Course
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)