More and more the research suggests that eating veggies, especially the dark, leafy kind, are great for our health. And since not all of us were born with an insatiable green tooth, or may even be haters of the cruciferous kind, diving into a bowl of leafy greens may not sound very appetizing. Fear not. There’s hope for us all with this massaged kale salad.
Kale, along with its green vegetable cousins, contains chlorophyll, a cancer-fighting antioxidant compound that is green in color and somewhat bitter in flavor. It is also a fat-soluble compound, whose pigment is impacted by the presence of pH (such as acid from lemon), as well as heat and oxygen. By massaging the kale leaves in oil and lemon juice, chlorophyll starts to release from the plant’s cells, allowing kale to take on sweeter flavor and a more vibrant green color. The result is nothing short of divine.
So, dig in and enjoy, folks. You will be pleasantly surprised!
MASSAGED KALE SALAD
- 4 cups (packed) torn dino kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 Tbsp oil (hemp, flax, olive, or avocado oil)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- Pink Himalayan salt, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper, to taste
- bell pepper
- sliced pear
- goji berries
- pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- slivered almonds
- sliced avocado
- chickpeas or other beans
- red onion (raw or marinated)
- diced sweet potato or yam
- more greens (spinach or romaine)
- and many more…you choose!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine kale leaves, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Massage with your hands until kale becomes a dark, vibrant green color and shrinks down dramatically.
- Top with any add-ons and enjoy as a salad or on top of a baked sweet potato.
- To make sweeter, without the maple syrup, add 1 Tbsp of juice from an orange.
- For a richer flavor, set the massaged kale aside for an hour, to allow the marinade to soak in.
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 1/29/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – All For One, One For ALL!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Tabata Circuit Training
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Tabata Circuit Training
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – All For One, One For ALL!
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)