Taco Tuesday, Taco Wednesday, Taco any day. These Mini Taco Bowls are easy to throw together and even easier to devour. You can pick your fillings, but I highly recommend loading them up with Black Bean Quinoa Salad (see recipe below). Black beans are rich in protein, fiber, antioxidants, and flavor. While quinoa adds great texture, more protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Mix those ingredients together with freshly squeezed lime and orange juice, a pinch of salt, and a little heat from jalepeno. Cool it all off with some creamy avocado and you have yourself a dynamite dinner!
MINI TACO BOWLS
Makes 12 taco bowls
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad Mixture
- 12 small soft tortillas (corn and wheat blend works best. They usually come in packs of 8)
- Green onion
- Hot sauce
- Prepare Black Bean Quinoa Salad and set in the fridge for 20-30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of bean salad filling.
- Gently place the filled tortilla in a muffin tin, folding the edges in until it’s snug as a bug. Handle carefully, so the little tortillas don’t brake. If they do, no need to fret. They won’t look as pretty, but they’ll still taste delicious!
- Bake on 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, or until tortillas become golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from heat and let stand for a couple minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro, green onion, hot sauce and enjoy!
BLACK BEAN QUINOA SALAD
Yields ~12 servings
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups corn (fresh off the cob or use frozen and dethaw by running under luke warm water for a few seconds)
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup diced green onion
- 1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes
- 1 diced and seeded jalapeño
- 4-6 Tbsp. vinegar (I did a combination of apple cider vinegar and plum vinegar. Red wine and balsamic would also work, too. Just depends on your preference.)
- Juice from 1/2 lime*
- Juice from 1/2 small orange*
- 1-2 Tbsp. maple syrup*
- 1 tsp. pink salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- pinch of cumin, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Set in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- If you’d prefer not to add any sweetener, just add more lime/orange juice. It will be citrusy and not quite as sweet, but still very tasty.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 3/26/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT IT
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Strength Training Chipper Sets
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Strength Training Chipper Sets
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – HIIT IT
9:35AM Rose Court Co-ED – Coach Michelle – (private class) AMRAP Attack
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)