Saturday mornings are the best. The world seems to slow down a bit, you might even get to sleep in, and if you’re lucky, you find more time to enjoy a bountiful breakfast at home with the family instead of squeezing in a go-gurt while racing to work.
This Tofu and Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Scramble has all the sustenance and nutrients to get your weekend going. The tofu is seared, giving it a caramelized texture and sweet flavor. The Brussels Sprouts are roasted in some spicy sauce, so they’re crispy with a hint of heat. Toss in some baby greens, top with some sliced avocado and there you have it…Saturday brunch done right.
Normally tofu scrambles call for medium-firm tofu (it has more of an egg-like consistency), but I chose to use super-firm tofu. It’s dense, browns better than its other tofu cousins, and is best at absorbing all the flavor of the dish.
TOFU & BRUSSELS SPROUTS BREAKFAST SCRAMBLE
For Brussels Sprouts:
- 1 lb. Brussels Sprouts
- 3/4 of sauce mixture (see recipe below)
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
- Olive oil or avocado oil (optional if not using nonstick skillet)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups baby greens (kale, spinach, collard, chard)
- 1/4 sauce mixture (see recipe below)
- lemon, avocado and Sriracha for garnish
Sauce (for Brussels Sprouts and Tofu):
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. tamari (start w/ 1 Tbsp. and add more to taste)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Sriracha
- extra spices to taste
For Brussels Sprouts:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Rinse the Brussels Sprouts, peel away any damaged/brown leaves, cut the base and discard, and slice in half.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine brussels sprouts and 3/4 sauce mixture.
- Coat Brussels Sprouts evenly, pour into baking sheet, cover with another sheet of foil.
- Bake for ~20 minutes. Remove top foil sheet and bake another couple minutes to brown the edges.
- In a large pan over med-high heat, cook tofu on all sides until golden brown (~10 min.).
- Add onion and cook another few minutes until onion is browned on the edges.
- Reduce the heat, add the remaining 1/4 cup of sauce mixture and toss to evenly coat tofu mixture.
- Stir in greens and cook until they become bright green in color.
- Remove from heat and stir in Brussels Sprouts.
- Serve immediately, top with avocado, lemon juice and more Sriracha if you’re feeling bold.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Sunday 4/12/15
8:30AM Spartan Training – Coach Michelle – Oak Hill Park