All hail to the kale! Kale is not just to be enjoyed in a salad or a stir fry. It’s also great as a crunchy snack. If you’re getting an afternoon snack attack, reach for kale chips instead of cheesy puffs. Unlike highly processed snacks, overloaded with fat, salt and sugar, these spicy “cheesy” kale chips contain a little bit of fat from cashews and olive oil, a small amount of salt from tamari, and a tad bit of sugar from maple syrup. Moreover, they are made with kale, the almighty green goddess of veggies! Kale is known for its HEALTH BENEFITS and for good reason. It’s high in vitamins K, A and C. It’s a great source of calcium and fiber, and kale is packed with antioxidants.
SPICY “CHEESY” KALE CHIPS
adapted from The Kitchn
- 3/4 cup cashews (soaked)
- 2 bunches kale (washed and dried. You can use curly or dino kale.)
- 1/2 roasted red bell pepper (sold at Whole Foods in the baking isle)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Cover the cashews with water in a small bowl and let the soak for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drain cashews and set aside.
- Peal kale from stems and tear each leaf into bite-size pieces.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except for kale and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine kale and cashew mixture, making sure kale is evenly coated.
- Place kale pieces on baking sheets allowing space between each piece so they do not touch or overlap.
- Bake kale until crisp and completely dry (btwn. 2 and 4 hours). Turn leaves every hour to ensure even baking.
- When the kale chips are crunchy (not chewy) they’re ready!
- Store in air-tight container for up to one week.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 1/15/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Stronger Together Partner
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Stronger Together Partner
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Stronger Together Partner
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Stronger Together Partner
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)