There are certain foods whose flavors and aromas instantly teleport be back to my childhood. My Grandma’s cherry pie reminds me of well…my grandma, the smell of fresh basil reminds me of making pesto with my Dad, and the taste of watermelon reminds me of summertime as a little, carefree kiddo.
Watermelon not only makes me feel like a kid again, it’s also really darn good for my health…for everyone’s health! It’s been shown to relieve sore muscle pain and several other ailments. It’s a great “sweet” treat and when it’s mixed with spicy jalapeño and creamy avocado the result is out of this world yummy!
SPICY WATERMELON & AVOCADO SALAD
Yields 1 salad
- 1 small watermelon, cut in half
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups baby greens
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Juice from one lime
- pinch of cayenne
- Cut watermelon in half. Set one half aside.
- Scoop watermelon flesh out in large chunks, then cut chunks into bite-sized pieces.
- Save watermelon rind and juices (at the bottom).
- In a large bowl, pour watermelon juice, salt, vinegar, lime juice, and cayenne. Whisk ingredients together.
- In same large bowl, add diced watermelon, jalapeño, avocado, and greens.
- Mix thoroughly and pour contents back into watermelon rind.