Pizza, the crowd pleaser of crowd pleasers. This dish dates back centuries to ancient Greece, France, and of course Italia. In making this Veggie Pesto Pizza, I attempted to channel the culinary artistry of the Italians by using a thin crust, and a variety of fresh veggies, herbs, and spices. The Smart Flour Crust is made with whole grains, allowing it to have a thin, chewy texture and nutty, rich flavor. It’s also gluten free, for any of you with allergies. The pesto sauce is a classic mixture with a little twist – combining fresh basil, garlic, and olive oil with baby greens, cashews and lemon juice. The toppings are just a hodge podge of veggies, spices, balsamic, and a bit of wine. The end result is a savory, healthy, pizza packed with flavor and a whole lot of antioxidants, fiber, and color!
VEGGIE PESTO PIZZA
- 1 Pack of Smart Flour Pizza Crusts (holds 2, available at WF Lafayette)
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2-1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and diced
- 1 cup chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- pinch of Himalayan salt to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- splash of wine (optional)
- Basil & Baby Greens Pesto (see recipe below)
- sprinkle of cheese (Follow Your Heart shredded mozzarella is the best), or use cashew crumbles (ground cashews)
- In a large sauce pan, sauté red onion with olive oil over low-medium heat until lightly browned and caramelized.
- Add cremini mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Stir in zucchini and sauté until zucchini becomes tender and light brown on the edges.
- Add roasted bell peppers and garlic, cook until garlic becomes aromatic.
- Pour in chickpeas, salt, red pepper flakes, balsamic and wine.
- Allow mixture to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place plain crusts in oven and bake for about 4-6 minutes or until the center becomes crispy -this will ensure that the pizza won’t be soggy.
- Remove crusts from the oven and spread on a generous amount of pesto sauce.
- Add vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle on cheese or cashew crumbles.
- Bake for another 4-6 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is crisp. Be careful not to burn.
BASIL & BABY GREENS PESTO SAUCE
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 cup packed baby greens (kale, chard, collard greens)
- 1/4 cup cashews, pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine basil, greens, nuts, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Slowly add olive oil while blending the mixture until the texture becomes creamy and smooth.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 3/12/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Sets n Reps
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Circuit
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Circuit
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Sets N Reps
9:35AM Rose Court Co-ED – Coach Michelle – (private class) Kickbox + Cardio
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)