When you start to feel a cold coming on or a little tickle in your throat, soup can be just what the doctor ordered. Soothing, filling, and rich in all the must-have nutrients, this veggie soup is a sure-fired way to boost your immunity and nourish your hard-working, unstoppable bod.
Roast the yams or sweet potatoes in the oven (on 425 degrees F for about 20-30 min) before adding them to the soup. I usually roast them plain (no oil), then brush with a touch of olive/coconut oil and dust on some salt and spices once they’re cooked.
Use a variety of colorful carrots for more flavor and antioxidants!
Garnish with pumpkin seeds for an extra crunch 🙂
YAM AND GREENS VEGGIE DETOX SOUP
vegan, gluten free
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups sliced cremini, white button, or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups yams, roasted and diced (sweet potatoes are great, too)
- 1-2 tsp Pink Himalayan salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups torn kale leaves (or chard)
- 1 Tbsp plum vinegar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, for serving (optional)
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion for about 5 minutes. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Add in the mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, yams and stir to combine.
- Season with salt, spices, and vinegars sauté for 5 additional minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric and garlic, sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the broth and chickpeas, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until all the veggies are tender (between 10-20 min).
- Just before serving, stir in torn kale (or chard) leaves and cook until they’re wilted and bright green (this will help to better retain their nutrients).
- Season with salt, spices, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 2/21/15
8:30AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Co-Ed class – Coach Briana – Circuit Training