Coach Michelle here for your Technical Tuesday! Getting complacent about your movement is something that happens once in a while. Next time you go to class, treat each movement as though you have not done it before. You will definitely learn something new about something you thought you knew all about.
Today, we get technical about Lunges. The main muscle used in a standard walking lunge is the quadriceps. Secondary movers are the hamstrings and glutes. The longer the step, the more hamstrings you will use, and the shorter the step, the more quadriceps will work. Your glutes will get worked with a short or long stance.
Working toward a perfect walking lunge you need to apply the following standards:
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart.
- Look Straight ahead and engage your abdominal wall.
- Take a large step forward, your back heel will naturally lift. KEEP FEET HIP WIDTH APART WHEN YOU STEP.
- Lower yourself on an inhale to a vertical shin, get your back knee as close to the ground as you can manage. Your back heel should point straight up, and your torso should be upright.
- Push back out of the lunge through the front leg heel on an exhale and step forward to hip width.
- Once you become proficient with the details above, you can eliminate the linking hip width step and step directly from one lunge to the next.
Coach Jentry hitting a proper lunge. Visit our youtube page for details.
Bonus…Read this cool article about how aerobic exercise grows your brain!
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Wednesday 1/13/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Karen – Chip It Humpday
6AM Sunup Moraga Womens only Class – Coach Briana – Chip It Humpday
8:15AM SunshineMoraga Womens only Class – Coach Briana & Coach Joel – Chip It Humpday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Jentry – Chip It Humpday
9:30 AM Rose Court Private Camp – Coach Michelle – Chip It Humpday
11:00AM Cytosport TRX Boot camp – Coach Michelle (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport In Trinity Training – Coach Michelle (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)