Getting injured sucks. Its important to do everything you can to prepare for your workout, but even when you do shit can still happen. Its never what you think either. If you have a sore spot that your body has been protecting you have leafed to compensate well. Usually it will be the muscles, tendons, ligaments or joints that have been taking the brunt of it. Meaning if you have an injury in your right hip your left side will compensate and most likely be the area that gets an acute injury should that happen.
When it comes to recovery from any hit, attitude can determine much about the outcome. Really attitude is well, almost everything. Being smart about your recovery, resting, rolling, and not returning to activity too soon are critical. Easy to say but hard to do. The best thing we can do is fix the roof before it rains. Lets talk about some strategy to keep our bodies healthy and injury free.
1) Stay hydrated. I don’t mean drinking a ton of water. You need to get those electrolytes in to keep your muscles supple. Try Nuun, they have them at Whole foods or other grocers.
2) Roll the full body. Don’t just roll the injury. This is where most people go wrong. Like I said earlier, if the injury is on the right the left side is going to be working overtime. Give it your full attention. Don’t know how to roll? Ask your coach or check out the Gumsaba Mobility videos here.
3) Eat real food. Especially cruciferous veggies which contain high amounts of water.
4) Listen to your body. Feel a twinge while working out? Don’t ignore it. Stop and walk it off before disaster strikes. Don’t push through something and sacrifice your long term health for the short term high.
5) Learn about your body. I say this all the time, but we humans often know more about our cars than we know about how our body works. Since you only get one its worthwhile to really know what is going on. Learn anatomy first and then get into the physiology if you are inspired. Here is an awesome website to get you started.
The road to recovery can be long. Stay positive! Move what you can that will not injure the site of pain.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Tuesday 8/19/14:
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Michelle – TRX HIIT Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – HIIT Circuit
6AM Sunup Walnut Creek Co-Ed class – Coach Matt – Full Body Supersets
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Michelle – TRX HIIT Circuit