Mushrooms are magnificent and magical, both in flavor and health promoting power. They add a hearty texture and a savory, umami flavor to any dish, serving as a lovely plant-based replacement to animal meat or the like. As for health, mushrooms have been shown to aid in immune function and weight loss, among other things. Thus, we get our fill of mushrooms whenever we can in the Lee Hull house. We throw mushrooms in with our tacos, pasta, salads, and now pizza. Not just any pizza, though…Zucchini crust pizza! Although I love a good chewy, classic pizza crust every once in a while I also love to get my veggies in any way I can. So, why not make crust with zucchini and yellow squash? Aside from the health benefits associated with zucchini and yellow squash consumption, these guys hold up well in a host of dishes, thanks to their mild flavor and durable, yet delicate texture. And after making this recipe, I’ve come to find out they make a killer, grain free, gluten free crust.
BALSAMIC GLAZED PORTOBELLO PIZZA WITH ZUCCHINI CRUST
Pizza crust recipe adapted from My Humble Kitchen’s The Best Zucchini Recipe Ever – Zucchini Crust Pizza
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2-4 servings
Zucchini Pizza Crust Ingredients:
- 6 cups shredded zucchini (yellow squash, or both)
- 1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp. ground flax + 6 Tbsp. cold, filtered water)
- 1/3 cup oat flour (or use all almond meal)
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
Basil & Baby Greens Pesto Ingredients:
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 cup packed baby greens (kale, chard, collards – I use Trader Joe’s Power Greens)
- 1/4 cup cashews, pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic Glazed Portobello Ingredients:
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Zucchini Pizza Crust Directions:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Lightly spray 2 pizza stones or pizza pans with olive oil. If you have neither, use a nonstick cookie sheet.
- Dice zucchini/yellow squash into large pieces and place in a blender or food processor. Pulse until zucchini is shredded. Be sure not to over-process into liquid or paste.
- Place shredded zucchini in large bowl and stir in salt. Set aside for 15 min. or so until the zucchini mixture becomes watery.
- In a small glass bowl, whisk together ground flax and water. Set aside for 5 min. or so, or until flax eggs form – should resemble a thick, gooey consistency.
- Once zucchini mixture appears watery, remove excess moisture with a cheese cloth or clean towel.
- Place rung out zucchini in a large mixing bowl and combine with oat flour, almond meal, minced garlic and a touch more salt (if desired).
- Divide mixture evenly and spread out onto a circular, pizza-like shape onto two pans or baking sheets (previously sprayed with oil).
- Bake crust on 500 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until edges become brown.
- Remove from oven, carefully flip and bake for another 4 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temp. to 425 degrees F.
Baked zucchini crust, ready for toppings (pictured above).
Basil & Baby Greens Pesto Directions:
- Combine basil, greens, nuts, garlic, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
- Slowly add olive oil while blending the mixture until the texture becomes creamy and smooth.
- Adjust salt to taste.
Balsamic Glazed Portobello Directions:
- Rinse and pat dry portobellos.
- Slice portobellos and place in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Marinate with balsamic, olive oil, salt, and garlic for 10 minutes or so (while zucchini crusts are baking).
- Once mushrooms are marinated, cook in a large non-stick pan over medium heat for 5-8 minutes, tossing occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Marinated mushrooms, before cooked (pictured above).
Assembling the pizza!
- Once crusts are par cooked (golden brown on both sides) spread on fresh pesto and top with balsamic glazed portobellos.
- Bake on 425 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a couple minutes.
- Top with fresh tomatoes, onion and/or basil.
- Enjoy with a big green salad!
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 8/13/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT Thursday
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Michelle – Circuit Work
6AM Sunup Lafayette (at RUDGEAR PARK) Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – MET CON MASH UP
7:10 AM Summer Walnut Creek class – Coach Briana – HIIT Thursday
8:15AM Outdoor Yoga at the Moraga Commons – Coach Michelle
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – HIIT Thursday
11:00AM Cytosport Power Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)