I’m always on the lookout for a good, healthy pancake recipe. But, when a lot of these recipes call for a not so healthy dose of refined sugar and butter or oil, this quest becomes a bit tricky. After leafing through Dr. John McDougall’s new cookbook, The Healthiest Diet on the Planet, I was delighted to find this simple, no fuss, refined sugar and oil free pancake recipe. I’ve tried it twice now and both times it’s been a winner!
Vegan, dairy free, refined oil and sugar free, gluten free (option)
Recipe by Dr. John McDougall, slightly adapted by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields about 12 pancakes
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz. (1 cup) plant milk
- 8 oz. (1 cup) sparkling water
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)*
- 1 ½ cups flour (whole wheat or any GF option, such as Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. pink salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax meal or dry egg replacer (Ener-G Egg Replacer)
- Fresh berries
- Banana slices
- Almond or peanut butter
- Purely Elizabeth Ancient Grain Granola
- In a large mixing bowl, mash two ripe bananas and stir in vanilla extract, plant milk, and sparkling water. As long as they’re mostly mashed, it’s okay if the bananas still have a few small lumps.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground flax/egg replacer.
- In the large mixing bowl (with the mashed banana mixture), slowly stir in the dry mixture just until everything is well-incorporated. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in blueberries. *If you’re using frozen blueberries, thaw in the fridge overnight beforehand and get excited because your pancakes are going to turn slightly purple!
- Heat a large nonstick pan or griddle to medium heat. Test to be sure it’s ready by splashing it with a little water. If the water droplets dance on your pan, you’re ready to pour your pancake batter!
- Ladle the batter, using a spoon or a ¼ measuring cup, into the heated pan. I was able to cook 3 pancakes at a time, but you may be able to do less or more depending on the size of your pan.
- Flip your pancakes when bubbles start to form.
- Serve immediately with more fresh berries, sliced bananas and a little drizzle of almond or peanut butter in lieu of the usual pancake syrup.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 10/14/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – HIIT Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – HIIT Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Met Con Thursday
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Met Con Thursday
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Met Con Thursday
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – HIIT Circuit
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00AM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)
3:30PM Varsity Stretching – Miramonte – Coach Michelle + Coach Piper (private class)