We’re gonna get spooky and scary today with something new…Jackfruit! Boo!
New is always a little scary, but I promise this is not going to give you nightmares. This will result in a smile and a belly full of good food. We’re talking about BBQ Jackfruit! Wondering what on earth jackfruit is? Well, it’s a magical fruit, native to India that is a “nutritional bonanza” as NPR calls it. This fruit is packed with protein, potassium and vitamin B. It’s also free of cholesterol and saturated fat, and it has a great texture making it a nice substitute for meat. Oh, and it’s deeee-lish!!! See, not so scary right?
BBQ JACKFRUIT SAMMIES
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2 sammies
- 1 package of BBQ Jackfruit (available at Whole Foods)
- 2 buns, toasted
Broccoli Slaw Ingredients:
- 1 cup broccoli slaw (available at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 leaf curly kale
- ½ cup Just Mayo
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Prepare broccoli slaw. Whisk together mayo, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Add broccoli slaw and kale (de-stemmed and torn into small pieces), and stir.
- Prepare sammies. In a large skillet, over med-high heat, pour in 1 pack of BBQ jackfruit. Cook for ~3 minutes, until heated through and crispy on the edges.
- Meanwhile, toast buns.
- Once jackfruit is ready, assemble sammies and enjoy!
Jackfruit varieties, by The Jackfruit Co., available at Whole Foods (near the tofu).