This is one of our favorite throwback recipes. The whole shebang takes roughly 15 minutes to throw together and the final product is so wonderfully satisfying. Jackfruit offers an impressive amount of nutrients and a great, meaty texture – perfect for omnivores and herbivores, alike. And, with a rich BBQ flavor and minimally processed ingredients, theses BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches will blow your socks off. Cheers!
BBQ JACKFRUIT SANDWICHES with BROCCOLI SLAW
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free, soy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2 sandwiches
- 1 package of BBQ Jackfruit (The Jackfruit Co., available at Whole Foods and Sprouts)
- 2 buns, toasted (Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Buns or gluten free buns)
- BBQ sauce, if desired.
BROCCOLI SLAW INGREDIENTS
- 1 heaping cup organic broccoli slaw (available at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 leaf curly kale, de-stemmed and torn
- ½ cup Just Mayo
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Prepare broccoli slaw. Whisk together mayo, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Add broccoli slaw and kale (de-stemmed and torn into small pieces), and stir.
- Prepare sandwiches:
- In a large skillet, over med-high heat, pour in pack of BBQ jackfruit. Cook for about 3 minutes, until heated through and crispy on the edges.
- Add BBQ sauce, optional, and season to taste. I didn’t add any sauce or seasonings, but you may want to.
- Meanwhile, toast buns.
- Once jackfruit is ready, add to toasted buns along with broccoli slaw and enjoy!
- The packaging on the BBQ Jackfruit gives the option to microwave. I don’t recommend this. You’ll miss out on a crispy, meaty texture if you microwave. Go for stovetop cooking instead. It’s worth it.
Have a great weekend!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 9/3/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Michelle – Battle Ropes Blast