Salads overflowing with whole, raw veggies and fruits are a great way to get a few good servings of your daily fruits and vegetables. And, by spicing them up with fun new flavors and textures, you’ll want to fill up on a hearty salad everyday. This Blackened Tempeh Salad fits the bill. With subtle spice from the Sriracha and nutty, rich flavor of the tempeh, all on top a bountiful bed of crisp salad, it’s sure to please.
Tempeh [tem-pey], a really nifty and surprisingly tasty product that originates from Indonesia, is traditionally made from soy beans and is often times accompanied by whole grains or seeds. Due to the retention of the whole soy bean during the fermentation process, tempeh boasts a higher content of protein, dietary fiber, and vitamins than most tofu. And, because of its firm texture and unique, earthy flavor tempeh makes for a great focal point in salads, wraps, stir-fries, sandwiches and more.
BLACKENED TEMPEH SALAD
Yields 2 generous servings
- 1-8oz package tempeh
Tempeh Sauce ingredients:
- Juice from large 1 lime or 2 small
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- 1-2 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 1/2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
Really any blend of vegetables and fruits will do…here are a few suggestions:
- 4-5 generous handfuls of dark leafy baby greens or mixed greens
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, crushed and minced
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of heat (cayenne, black pepper, etc.)
- Whisk together ingredients, adjust seasonings to taste, and set aside.
Salad Dressing Directions:
- Whisk together ingredients, adjust seasonings to taste, and pour into a glass container (to be stored after use).
Tempeh Salad Directions:
- Wash and prepare veggies and fruits, and place in a large mixing (or salad serving) bowl. Store in fridge until ready for serving.
- Cut tempeh into 1/4 inch slices and place in large, nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook tempeh on both sides for about 2 minutes, or until browned.
- Reduce heat and pour prepared Sriracha sauce over tempeh. Turn tempeh in sauce until evenly coated all sides.
- Sear on both sides for another minute or two until tempeh begins to blacken.
- Remove from heat.
- Toss salad in prepared dressing. Divide into two bowls and top with blackened tempeh.
Cheers to your health!
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 6/11/15
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Push Pull Partner Cardio
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – TRX Partner
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – TRX Partner
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Push Pull Partner Cardio
9:35AM Rose Court Co-ED – Coach Michelle – (private class) – Drag Tires and Med Ball Madness
11:00AM Cytosport HIIT Training – Coach Briana (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Power Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)