This Blood Orange Salad is brimming with citrus, containing anti-inflammatory antioxidants and (fat-burning) flavonoids, along with aromatic fresh basil, protein-packed chickpeas, and sweet and savory balsamic vinegar. It’s a salad to rival all other salads. If you’re a fan of good salad, like me, I suggest doubling the recipe. You won’t regret it 🙂
Blood Orange Salad with Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 2-4 servings
BASIL BALSAMAIC VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (use 4% acidity, if available)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or 2 Tbsp. tahini *
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- juice from 1 lime
- pink salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp. water, to thin (if desired)
- 10 large basil leaves, Chiffonade *
BLOOD ORANGE SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 1 large bunch dino kale, Chiffonade
- 4-5 blood oranges (or navel), peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or white beans) *
- hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, and/or pepitas (for added crunch)
BASIL BALSAMAIC VINAIGRETTE DIRECTIONS
- Whisk together balsamic, olive oil/tahini, Dijon, lime juice, salt, turmeric, and minced garlic. Add water, to thin, if desired.
- Incorporate basil and set aside.
BLOOD ORANGE SALAD DIRECTIONS
- In a large bowl, add kale and drizzle portion of salad dressing on top. Massage dressing into kale for about 1 minute, or until kale is tender and bright green.
- Incorporate blood oranges, chickpeas, seeds, remaining dressing and toss to evenly coat.
- Enjoy asap! This salad is best fresh, but if you must wait, store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
- Use tahini for a creamier dressing.
- Stack basil leaves, roll lengthwise tightly and Chiffonade (thinly slice).
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas is equivalent to 1-15oz. can of beans. If using canned beans, rinse and drain before adding to salad.
- Other white beans (i.e. Great Northern Beans or Cannellini beans) will also work here.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Thursday 4/7/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens only class – Coach Briana – Strength Training Circuit
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens only class – Coach Joel – Strength Training Circuit
6AM Sunup Moraga Co-Ed class – Coach James – Endurance Training Circuit
6AM Sunup Lafayette Co-Ed class – Coach Jentry – Strength Training Circuit
8:15AM Sunshine Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James – Endurance Training Circuit
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens class – Coach Briana – Strength Training Circuit
9:30AM Sunshine Lafayette Rose Court PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – Core H.V.I.T.
11:00AM Cytosport Advanced Boot Camp at the Park – Coach Briana (private class)
11:00AM Cytosport Vinyasa Flow Yoga – Coach Jentry (private class)