As much as I love a greens and berries smoothie to start the day, it’s nice to mix it up, especially on those cold, rainy mornings. Oatmeal is a classic breakfast that doesn’t really get the love and praise it deserves. If you ask me, oatmeal is like a bowl of pure sunshine. Oatmeal offers some pretty impressive health benefits. First off, oats are packed with soluble fiber. When eaten, soluble fiber delays gastric emptying, which keeps you fuller longer. Soluble fiber also lowers serum cholesterol, making it heart healthy. Oatmeal consumption may help in the prevention of fatty liver disease. And, it’s also been shown that oatmeal eaters maintain a trimmer waistline. So, eat your oats, folks!
BLUEBERRY BANANA OATMEAL
Vegan, refined sugar and dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
- 1 cup cooked steel cut oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats)
- ½ banana, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-2 Tbsp. nut butter
- splash of plant milk, optional
- Bring pot of water to a boil and cook oats according to directions (It should be a 2:1 ratio of liquid to oats).
- Once oats are cooked, remove from heat and pour into serving bowls.
- Top with sliced bananas, blueberries, nut butter, plant milk and enjoy.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 3/12/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Briana – Sets N Reps
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Piper – HIIT IT!