Like so many other asanas (poses) in yoga, the benefits of Boat Pose transcend your body and permeate your mind and spirit. Each time you practice Paripurna Navasana, you will feel gleeful delight, excitement and a deep sense of empowerment.
Boat Pose or Paripurna Navasana (par-ee-POOR-nah nah-VAHS-anna)
- Begin seated on your mat with your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Bend your knees, lean back slightly and bring your hands behind your thighs.
- Exhale into Boat Pose.
- Fan your elbows wide.
- Lift your sternum upward.
- Point your toes down and lift your heels away from your mat.
- Hug your thighs to touch.
- Engage your pelvic floor.
- Cinch your waist and firm your abdominals.
- Draw your shoulder blades toward each other.
- Soften your jaw.
- Broaden your collar bones.
- Bring your gaze forward or slightly up.
- Hold and breathe for several rounds of breath.
- As you develop your core strength, you may begin to gradually hold Boat Pose for longer durations. Continue to be mindful of your alignment and your posture.
- To deepen your Paripurna Navasana, follow these steps:
Extend your arms forward and spin your palms up.
Straighten your legs, point your toes and sweep your arms high to frame your ears.
- For individuals with low back injuries or low back tenderness, keep your hands behind your thighs or plant them behind your back for extra support.
- Increases spine, hip flexor, shoulder and abdominal strength.
- Enhances oblique strength.
- Creates a foundation for lower back support.
- Improves digestion.
- Helps to relieve stress.
- Cultivates deep focus.
Chakra (Energetic Body)
- Because of its intense grounding and its simultaneous strengthening and lifting, Paripurna Navasana energizes three main chakras: Muladhara (root), Manipura (solar plexus) and Anahata (heart).
- Our root chakra (also known as Muladhara) is the first of 7 main chakras in the energetic body. It’s located at the base of our spine. The color of this chakra is red and the essence associated with this chakra is Mother Earth. Muladhara represents our most basic need for home, stability, safety, and connectedness. When we unite with our root chakra, we become more grounded and balanced.
- Our third chakra (Manipura) is associated with our confidence, power, relationship with self and ego. This chakra resides in the abdominal area, obliques and internal organs (pancreas, liver, stomach, spleen). The element of this chakra is fire and the color of this chakra is yellow. When Manipura is in balance, we have a better understanding of self and we are able to dissociate our higher consciousness from our ego. When practicing asanas, such as Boat Pose, we “cultivate a willingness to gain insight into your understanding of power, individuality, and identification.”
- Anahata, our Heart Chakra or fourth chakra is associated with compassion, service, unconditional love, connectedness and empathy. The element of Anahata is air and the color of this chakra is green. Anahata is the bridge between our lower three chakras and upper three chakras. It’s where “me” becomes “we”. When Anahata is in balance, our perception of separateness dissolves and we develop a greater understanding of our kinship with all living beings.
- As Boat Pose mobilizes the activity in our energetic body, a spark is provoked in our spirit. We cannot help but become more alive, exhilarated and energized. It’s as if Paripurna Navasana sends an electric current throughout our entire being and into the world. Practicing Boat Pose brightens us from within and illuminates our soul.
Gumsaba Fitness Class schedule Monday 7/25/16
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Womens class – Coach Briana – AMRAP ATTACK!
5:30AM Sunrise Danville Mens class – Coach Joel – AMRAP ATTACK!
6AM Sunup Morga Womens only Class – Coach James – AMRAP ATTACK!
8:15AM Sunrise Moraga Womens only Class – Coach James & Coach Kristin AMRAP ATTACK
9AM Sunshine Walnut Creek Womens only class – Coach Briana – AMRAP ATTACK
11:00AM Cytosport All Levels HIIT – Coach Joel (private class)
11:30AM Cytosport All Levels Trigger Point Rolling – Coach Joel (private class)
12:00PM Cytosport Intermediate/Advanced Bodyweight Training – Coach Joel (private class)
2PM Cytosport Hatha Yoga – Coach Michelle D. (private class)