Why not break tradition and enjoy some pizza over Thanksgiving? This pizza has the flavors of Thanksgiving with a few added twists. Cheers!
Bad lighting…darn daylight saving.
CARAMELIZED ONION & SAGE BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIZZA
Vegan, dairy free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Makes 2 pizzas
- 1-15oz. can Muir Glen Pizza Sauce
- ½ cup pureed sweet potato (from scratch or Farmer’s Market Foods)
- 1 small red or yellow onion, thinly sliced (lengthwise)
- ½ Tbsp. avocado oil, water or broth for sautéing cloves garlic
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-12oz. package Butternut Squash Zig-Zags (available in the produce section at Trader Joe’s)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 4 large curly kale leaves, de-stemmed and Chiffonade
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- salt and pepper, to taste
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar (4% acidity)
- 1 package of 2 Vicolo Organic Cornmeal Crusts (available at Whole Foods)
- Miyoko’s Kitchen Fresh VeganMozz (available at Whole Foods)
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a large saucepan over low-medium heat, combine 1 can of Muir Glen Pizza Sauce and ½ cup pureed sweet potato. Stir and cook until warmed through. Remove from heat and keep covered until ready to assemble pizzas.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high, add thinly sliced onion. Add oil/water/broth, for sautéing. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden and caramelized.
- Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add Butternut Squash Zig-Zags and ¼ cup vegetable broth. Reduce heat to medium, cover and let the squash soften for 3-5 minutes. Stir halfway through and add more liquid, if needed, to prevent sticking.
- Once squash is soft, add kale and stir to wilt the kale until it’s bright green. Add dried sage, salt, pepper, and drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Adjust seasoning taste.
- Assemble pizzas:
- Spread a spoonful of sweet potato pizza sauce onto each pizza crust.
- Slice VeganMozz and lay slices on top of sauce, distribute evenly – you don’t need a lot of cheese. This cheese is rich and delicious, and goes a long way.
- Top with caramelized onion, squash and kale mixture.
- Add more cheese, if desired. I added some leftover Kite Hill Ricotta.
- Bake pizzas at 425°F for 10-12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes before cutting and serving.
- Enjoy with a big, green salad.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Saturday 11/19/16
8:30 AM Saturday Co-Ed Boot Camp – Coach Karen – HIIT and RUN
9:30AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Carrie – HIIT and RUN