No matter the season or the weather, curry is one of my favorite dishes. Booming with flavor and captivating aroma, curry is a sure fired way to feed your soul and your belly. The coconut milk base of this saucy dish contains a whole list of nutrients including vitamins C, E and B, and iron. It’s also rich in antioxidants and Lauric acid, which contributes to lowering the risk of heart disease along with containing anti-fungul, anti-bacterial properties. Not to mention, the ginger root, turmeric, and garlic all provide their own impressive list of health benefits along with some spectacular flavor, proving that nutrient-dense, whole plant foods are bomb dot com.
CHICKPEA CURRY BOWL
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free
Recipe by Jentry Lee Hull
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3-4 Tbsp. ginger root, peeled and finely minced (or use The Ginger People)
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric root, peeled and finely minced
- 2 15 oz. cans organic coconut light milk
- 4 Tbsp. red curry paste (Thai Kitchen)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1-2 Tbsp. chili paste or Sriracha
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ cups (or 1 15 oz. can) chickpeas
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- Juice from 1 large lime or 2 small limes
- Cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion for 3-5 minutes, or until translucent. Add water or veggie broth to prevent sticking.
- Add minced garlic, ginger and turmeric. Cook for another minute. Be careful not to burn.
- Stir in coconut milk, red curry paste, maple syrup and chili paste/Sriracha. Whisk to break up curry paste.
- Add diced sweet potatoes and chickpeas, cover and bring to a simmer for 15-25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in salt, lime juice and pepper.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with roasted purple cauliflower, wilted greens, and rice. Top with cashews, Sriracha and enjoy!
PURPLE CAULIFLOWER INGREDIENTS
- 1 head purple cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tsp. olive oil, optional
- salt and pepper
PURPLE CAULIFLOWER METHOD
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place florets in lined baking sheet, toss with oil and seasonings.
- Roast cauliflower for 18-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Gumsaba Outdoor Fitness Class schedule Sunday 6/26/16
9:00AM Sunshine Orinda Sleepy Hollow Co Ed PRIVATE Class – Coach Michelle – Skill Building Circuit